Score: VCU 65, Saint Louis 52
Location: Saint Louis, Mo.
Records: VCU 8-8 (3-0 A-10), Saint Louis (9-7, 1-2 A-10)
The short story: Leading 33-29 at halftime, VCU pulled away in the third quarter by outscoring Saint Louis 23-9 and held a double-digit lead for the remainder of the game.
- Tera Reed scored 24 points on 10-of-19 shooting, including 14 points in the first half alone. Reed also added seven rebounds and a season-high three steals.
- Danielle Hammond had her first career double-double with 15 points and a career-high 13 rebounds.
- Madison Hattix-Covington was the third VCU player in double figures with 10 points and went 2-for-3 from 3-point range.
- VCU shot 43.6 percent from the floor and limited Saint Louis to just 28.3 percent from the floor and 26.3 percent from 3-point range.
- The Rams forced 16 turnovers but held a massive 27-6 edge in points off turnovers. The Rams also outscored the Billikens in the paint 28-16.
- Saint Louis was led Myia Clark who scored 14 points and added five rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing 6-4 with 5:13 left in the first quarter, VCU went on an 11-0 run that was capped off by a Reed layup to give the Rams a 15-6 lead with 2:38 left in the quarter. VCU led 18-10 heading into the second quarter.
- VCU extended its lead to 29-18 with 4:53 left before halftime but Saint Louis closed the half on an 11-4 run to cut its deficit to 33-29 at the half.
- The Rams used a 14-2 run in the third quarter to pull away and led 56-38 going into the fourth quarter.
- VCU led by as many as 21 points during the fourth quarter.
VCU hosts crosstown rival Richmond at 6 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17 at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.