Score: VCU 47, Saint Joseph's 40
Location: Richmond, Va. (Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 7-8 (2-0 A-10), Saint Joseph's (7-7, 1-1 A-10)
The short story: VCU used a dominant defensive effort that included a season-high 10 blocked shots to keep Saint Joseph's offense at bay in a 47-40 victory on Wednesday night.
- Sydnei Archie scored a team-high 12 points on 6-of-9 shooting while senior center Danielle Hammond joined her in double-figures with 10 points and six rebounds.
- VCU's defense held the visiting Hawks to just 12-for-49 (24.5 percent) from the floor, including a 7.1 percent shooting percentage in the second quarter.
- VCU forced 18 turnovers and blocked a season-high 10 shots.
- The Rams moved the ball well on offense, tallying 13 assists on 17 made shots. The Rams have 29 assists in their last two games.
- VCU scored 15 points off turnovers compared to just eight for the Hawks. The home side also earned a 28-14 advantage in points in the paint as well.
- Gabby Smalls paced Saint Joseph's with 14 points and six rebounds. Lulu Roig, who came in averaging nearly eight points per game, was held 0-for-11 in the contest.
- The Rams have started 2-0 in Atlantic 10 play in back-to-back seasons.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU went scoreless for the first seven minutes and trailed 8-4 before a 13-0 run put the Rams up 17-8 with 4:18 left in the second quarter.
- VCU outscored Saint Joseph's 15-4 in total during the second quarter, including part of the 13-0 run, while allowing just one field goal and two free throws. The Hawks failed to score a basket over the final 3:46 of the first half and the Rams went into the locker room with a 21-12 lead.
- A 10-for-11 second half performance at the free throw line by Saint Joseph's kept them close, but VCU shot 54.5% over the final 20 minutes and never relinquished its lead.
- Madison Hattix-Covington, Tera Reed and Hammond each hit clutch free throws in the final minute of regulation to secure the win.
The Rams head west for a 4 p.m. EST to face Saint Louis on Sunday, Jan. 12. The game will be nationally televised on CBS Sports Network.