Final Score: VCU 67, UC Riverside 51
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: VCU (5-7), UC Riverside (3-10)
The Short Story: VCU forced a season-high 27 turnovers and outscored UC Riverside 34-8 in points off turnovers.
- Tera Reed had a season-high 18 points, while shooting 7-of-15 from the field.
- Taya Robinson also scored a season-high 14 points, grabbed five rebounds and had two assists.
- Madison Hattix-Covington and Kseniya Malashka provided a boost off of the bench for the Rams as each of them scored eight points.
- Highlanders leading scorer Jannon Otto was held to 11 points and six rebounds
- The Rams shot an impressive 42.2 percent from the field while holding the Highlanders to 36.5 percent from the floor and just 20.0 percent from 3-point range.
- The Rams attacked the paint throughout the game and outscored UC Riverside 48-30 in points in the paint.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened up the game on a 9-0 run, capped off by a Tera Reed layup and a foul. UC Riverside countered with a 7-0 run of their own to make it 9-7 with 5:48 left in the first quarter.
- VCU held a 15-12 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- The Rams extended their lead midway through the second quarter after going on a 10-0 run to lead 34-16 with three minutes left in the half. VCU forced four turnovers in that span.
- VCU outscored UC Riverside 21-8 in the second quarter while shooting 46.7 percent.
- The two teams played an even second half, scoring the same amount of points in both the third and fourth quarter.
The Rams host N.C. A&T on Monday, December 30 at 6 p.m. at the Siegel Center.