Final Score: VCU 68, La Salle 38
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena Stuart C. Siegel)
Records: VCU (10-5, 2-0 A-10), La Salle (3-13, 0-2 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU forced a season-high 34 turnovers, it's most since at least 2011, and used a 21-7 run in the second quarter to pull away from the Explorers.
- Tera Reed scored a team-high 12 points along with two rebounds.
- Danielle Hammond had 10 points and a team-high seven rebounds.
- Olga Petrova added six points, five rebounds and four assists.
- VCU's 34 turnovers were shy of the school record of 46 set in 1991, but the Rams outscored the Explorers 35-17 in points off turnovers.
- The Rams held a 41-35 advantage in rebounding and outscored La Salle 30-16 in paint.
- VCU's bench also outscored La Salle 33-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams played a back-and-forth first quarter and were tied 13-13 heading into the second period.
- The Rams held a 23-20 lead with 2:43 left before halftime before going on an 11-0 run and taking a 34-20 lead into halftime.
- VCU extended its run across halftime to 15-0 and led 37-20 with 8:57 left in the third period.
- La Salle cut its deficit to just 13 points at 40-27 but a 12-0 run by VCU pushed the Rams' lead to 52-27.
- The Explorers got no closer than 25 points for the remainder of the contest.
VCU faces crosstown rival Richmond at 6 p.m. on Jan. 12 at the Robins Center.