Final Score: IUPUI 64, VCU 62
Location: San Antonio, Texas (UTSA Convocation Center)
Records: VCU 4-2, IUPUI 5-1
The Short Story: In a game with 10 lead changes and seven ties, VCU took a 52-49 lead with 8:40 remaining but the Rams didn't score again until they cut their deficit to 56-54 with 50 seconds remaining. The Jaguars ultimately held off the Rams off at the free throw line, going 6-of-7 in the final 29 seconds.
- Tera Reed led VCU with 17 points on 5-of-11 shooting from the floor.
- Nyra Williams scored a season-high 10 points along with four assists.
- Sydnei Archie scored 12 points and had five rebounds.
- IUPUI shot 10-of-21 from 3-point range, a blistering 47.6 percent while VCU was just 1-of-7 and 14.3 percent.
- The Rams shot 49 percent overall while the Jaguars shot 36 percent.
- VCU led 38-8 in points in the paint, 14-8 in points off turnovers and 14-5 in bench scoring.
- IUPUI was led by Holly Hoopingarner who scored 23 points on 6-of-8 shooting.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU got off to a slow start offensively as IUPUI jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the first three minutes of the contest.
- The Jaguars held a 19-7 lead at the end of the first quarter as the Rams shot just 2-of-12 from the floor.
- VCU opened the second quarter with an 8-0 run to tie the game 17-17 with 7:44 left before halftime.
- The Jaguars responded with an 8-0 run of their own to lead 25-17 with 5:47 left in the second quarter.
- VCU's defensive pressure allowed the pace of the game to pick up and the Rams went on another big run, this time a 12-3 run to take a 29-28 lead with 1:22 left before halftime. The Rams held a 10-3 advantage in points off turnovers at the break.
- IUPUI would outscored VCU 6-3 and led just 34-32 at the half. The Jaguars shot 7-of-13 from 3-point range in the first half.
- The third quarter was a back-and-forth battle that saw IUPUI cling to a 49-48 lead after the Jaguars hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to end the quarter.
- VCU got back-to-back layups from Archie and Williams to start the fourth quarter and take a 52-49 lead.
- IUPUI went on a 7-0 run to take a 56-52 lead with a minute remaining and held off the Rams.
VCU hosts UNCW at 6 p.m. on Nov. 28 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.