Final Score: VCU 53, Wake Forest 40
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 3-1, Wake Forest 3-1
The Short Story: After trailing 28-15 at halftime, the Rams' defense shut down Wake Forest as VCU outscored the Demon Deacons 38-12 in the second half for the comeback victory. It marked VCU's first win over an ACC school since a 72-58 win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 16, 2009.
- Taya Robinson scored a game-high 13 points and had three steals.
- Tera Reed scored 12 points along with two assists, two steals and two rebounds.
- Danielle Hammond had seven points and three blocks.
- The Rams shot 42.3 percent in the second half after only managing to shoot 23 percent in the first half.
- VCU's bench outscored Wake Forest 18-6.
- Wake Forest had a 43-28 edge in rebounds but only a 10-3 advantage in second chance points.
- Gina Conti led Wake Forest in scoring with 11 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams struggled offensively as Wake Forest opened the game with a 14-8 lead after the first quarter.
- The Demon Deacons extended their lead to 28-15 at the half after shooting 44 percent from the floor.
- VCU started its furious comeback with a 14-0 run that started with two Robinson free throws and was capped off with a Robinson free throw. The run gave VCU a 29-28 lead.
- The two teams traded the lead three times in the following minutes before a Tera Reed layup with 7:49 remaining gave VCU the lead for good.
- The Rams went on a 14-2 run to push their lead to 47-36 with 1:01 remaining and held off any chance of a Wake Forest rally at the free throw line.
VCU travels to Texas for the UTSA Thanksgiving Classic. The Rams will play Weber State at 3 p.m. EST on Nov. 23.