Final Score: George Masson 65, VCU 42
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 6-19 (3-10 A-10), George Mason 20-7 (9-4, A-10)
The Short Story: After the Rams jumped out to an early 16-15 lead over George Mason at the end of the first quarter, Mason outscored VCU 16-4 in the second quarter as the Rams struggled on the offensive end. Mason was able to hold the lead throughout the second half.
- Danielle Hammond tied for a team-high eight points along with a team-high six rebounds. She shot 4-of-7 from the field and added three blocks.
- Tera Reed also added eight points along with three rebounds, two assists and no turnovers.
- Sandra Skinner scored six points as well for the Rams.
- George Mason shot 47.8 percent from the floor and 53.8 percent from 3-point range. The Rams shot just 25.0 percent from the field and 8.7 percent from behind the arc.
- VCU and the Patriots were tied 38-38 in rebounds with the Rams having a decisive 18-6 edge in offensive rebounds. The Rams led 10-2 in second chance points.
- VCU also led 17-7 in bench scoring.
- Nicole Cardano-Hillary scored a game-high 19 points while Natalie Butler added 12 points and 11 rebounds, both under her season averages.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams and Patriots played a tight first quarter that saw Mason take a slim 7-4 lead with 7:24 left in the frame. VCU then outscored the Patriots 12-8 for the remainder of the frame to take a 16-15 lead heading into the second quarter.
- George Mason outscored the Rams 16-4 in the second period as VCU shot just 12.5 percent from the field to the Patriots' 46.2 percent. George Mason took a 31-20 lead into halftime.
- The Patriots built a 44-29 lead with 4:47 left in the third quarter but the Rams responded with a quick 4-0 run to get back within 44-33. Mason got the final two buckets of the quarter to lead 48-33 heading into the fourth quarter.
- The Patriots outscored VCU 17-9 in the final frame to take the victory.
VCU travels to Richmond to face the Spiders on Sunday Feb. 18 at 3 p.m. in the Sonabank/P.O.W.E.R. Crosstown Showdown. That game will be televised locally on CBS 6.3.