Score: VCU 72, George Mason 59
Location: Fairfax, Va. (EagleBank Arena)
Records: VCU 12-3 (2-0 Atlantic 10), George Mason 11-3 (0-1)
The short story: Junior forward Marcus Santos-Silva tied a career high with 26 points and notched his fifth double-double of the season in an Atlantic 10 Conference road win Sunday in Fairfax, Va.
- Santos-Silva scored 16 of his 26 points in the second half as VCU pulled away. The 6-foot-7 forward connected on 10-of-14 attempts from the floor, including several nifty left-handed hook shots. Santos-Silva also connected on all six of his free throw attempts and grabbed 12 rebounds to record his fifth double-double of the season
- Senior guard De'Riante Jenkins added 13 points and six rebounds for the Rams, while senior forward Mike'L Simms supplied 11 points and connected on 3-of-4 three-point attempts
- Javon Greene led four George Mason players in double figures with 13 points and four assists
- VCU held the Patriots to 37-percent (21-of-57) shooting in the game, including 25 percent (6-of-24) from beyond the 3-point line
- The Rams connected on all 18 of their free throws
- The Black and Gold controlled the game down low. The Rams outscored the Patriots 34-26 in the paint and were plus-15 (40-25) on the glass
- Simms scored five points and Jenkins buried a 3-pointer to fuel a 10-2 run that gave the Rams a 27-18 lead with 5:23 left in the first half
- George Mason would trim the VCU lead to six points early in the second half, but could get no closer. The Rams dropped the hammer with a 13-3 blitz, punctuated by a corner 3-pointer by freshman guard Bones Hyland, to push its lead to 60-40 with 7:30 remaining
- Sunday's win was the 1,000th in program history. The Rams are 1,000-441 in 52 seasons, a winning percentage of .694
- VCU set a school record for most free throw makes without a miss (18-of-18). The previous mark was 12, reached twice previously
- The Rams are 2-0 to start A-10 play for the second straight season
VCU will host Rhode Island on Saturday, Jan. 11 at 2 p.m. at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. That game will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.