Final Score: VCU 15, GMU 2
Location: Fairfax, Va. (Spuhler Field)
Records: VCU (39-17, 19-5 A-10), GMU (19-35, 5-19 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU blasted 14 hits and five homeruns in a dominant 15-2 win over GMU to conclude the regular season. As regular season conference champions, the Rams will hold the No. 1 seed in next week's Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- Tomas Sanchez led the way for the Rams offensively batting for the cycle (1single, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 homerun) while recording six RBIs and two runs scored
- Jack Schroeder added a three hits, two runs scored, a team-leading five RBIs and two homeruns on Saturday
- Logan Amiss and Matt Stallings combined for three hits, three RBIs and one runs scored in the win
- Noah Heisler and Paul Witt combined for two hits, three runs scored and an RBI vs GMU
- Justin Sorokowski picked up his fourth win of the season, allowing no runs through three innings
- The Rams bullpen struck out six batters along the way.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schroeder gave the Rams a 2-0 lead in the top of the second with his two run homer to left field. Hunter Vay scored the additional run on the play.
- Sorowkowski led VCU's defense to three shutout innings to start the game, ending his day only allowing three hits.
- The Rams blasted three homeruns and scored four runs in the top of the fourth to take a 6-0 lead. Matt Stallings, Paul Witt and Tomas Sanchez each hit a homer, while Noah Heisler scored the additional run.
- GMU scored their first run of the game in the bottom of fourth after D. Brooks single plated G. Popatak.
- The Rams extended their lead to 7-1 in the top of the fifth when Schroeder's hit barely hit off the top of the left field fence for an RBI double. Vay scored the run on the play.
- The Patriots trimmed the Rams lead to 7-2 in the bottom of the fifth after C. Reckling scored on a wild pitch.
- Logan Amiss added to the Rams lead in the top of the sixth with an RBI double down the left field line. Andrew Puglielli scored the run on the play.
- VCU scored five runs in the top of the seventh after Schroeder homered while driving in Josh Simon in the process. Sanchez then recorded a 2 RBI triple to right center to plate Heisler and Stallings. Amiss rounded out the inning with his lone RBI on the day to score Sanchez. The Rams entered the bottom half of the inning holding a 13-2 advantage.
- Sanchez completed the cycle in the top of the eighth with his 2 RBI double to right center that scored Simon and Carpenter.
- VCU's bullpen locked down the Patriots in the sixth through ninth innings, allowing no runs to score. Their stellar play secured a 15-2 win for the Rams.
VCU will be back in action Thursday, May 23, for their opening game in this years Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament. The time of the game is TBD, but is set to take place in Bronx, N.Y.