Final Score: VCU 8, Fordham 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (27-9, 10-2 A-10), Fordham (22-15, 7-5 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU beat Fordham 8-3 on Sunday to win the weekend series (2-1) and move to 10-2 in conference play this season.
- Paul Witt led the way for the Rams offensively, posting three hits in five at-bats, one run scored, and one RBI for the Rams
- Liam Hibbits added two hits, one run scored and one RBI on Sunday
- Brandon Henson and Zac Ching combined for two hits, three runs scored, five RBIs and two homeruns in the win
- Connor Gillispie picked up his third win of the season, while Sam Ryan was credited with his fifth save
- The Rams bullpen totaled six strikeouts vs Fordham
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first run of the game after Josh Simon's RBI double down the left field line drove Henson home. The play put the Rams on top 1-0 early.
- Liam Hibbits RBI single in the bottom of the third allowed Brett Norwood to score and extend the Rams lead. Moments later, Henson's 3-run shot to left pushed VCU's lead to 5-0 heading into the fourth inning.
- VCU's defense, led by Gillispie, shut Fordham down in the first through fifth innings, allowing no runs to score.
- Ching's 2-run homer in the bottom of the sixth extended the Rams lead to 7-0.
- Witt's RBI double down the left field line scored Brett Norwood to extend VCU's lead to 8-1 heading into the ninth inning.
- Fordham scored two runs in the top of the ninth to cut VCU's lead to 8-3.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, April 16, for a mid-week matchup with in-state rival Old Dominion. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.