Final Score: VCU 6, Towson 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 15-6, Towson 3-15
The Short Story: VCU defeated Towson 6-0 on Wednesday on the strength of a strong defensive effort. The win marked the second time this season the Rams have shutout an opponent.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in four at-bats and one run scored for the Rams
- Hogan Brown provided an all-around effort for the Rams, adding one hit, two run scored, two RBIs and a stolen base
- Hunter Vay and Zac Ching combined to post three hits and two RBIs vs Towson
- Danny Watson earned the win for the Rams, while Ben Dum was credited with the save. The Rams bullpen struck out batters on Wednesday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RHP Curtis Bafus started the game out on fire, striking out all three batter faced in the top of the first inning.
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first after Paul Witt's RBI single up the middle allowed Brown to score. The play put the Rams on top 1-0 early.
- The Rams defense, lead by Bafus, shut Towson down in the second through fourth innings, allowing no runs and only two hits. Strong play defensively allowed VCU to maintain a 1-0 lead heading into the top of the fifth inning.
- Watson powered VCU's defense to hold Towson scoreless in the fifth and sixth inning and maintain a 1-0 lead for the Rams.
- Vay's RBI double in the bottom of the sixth allowed Hibbits to score VCU's first run since the first inning. Moments later, Alex Taylor's RBI single to left allowed Steven Carpenter to score and extend the Rams lead to 3-0.
- Brown's RBI single up the middle in the bottom of the eighth allowed Tomas Sanchez and Noah Heisler to score and extend the Rams lead to 5-0. A few plays later, Ching's RBI single allowed Brown to score and push the lead to 6-0.
- Dum continued the strong day for VCU's bullpen by leading the Rams defense to scoreless innings for Towson in the seventh through ninth innings.
VCU will be back in action on Friday, March 22, for Game One of their weekend series with UMass. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.