Meet: VCU Ram Invite (Day two of two)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Results: All Results
The Short Story: VCU continued to dominate on the second day of the Ram Invite, winning seven more events. The women's 4x400 meter relay team set a new meet record as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kayla Smith, Ann Sheehy, Kara Lyles, and Taylor Watkins was the winning combination of runners the Rams used to secure a first place finish in the 4x400 meter relay and to break the meet record that had stood since 2013. The squad's time was 3:46.94, 1.3 seconds faster than the previous record set by George Mason.
- In the 400 meter, junior Candice James set a personal best with a 56.33 time. James was being chased by teammate Ann Sheehy, who came in at 57.18.
- Sophomore Delaney Savedge earned a win in the 3000 meter run. Savedge, who led the entire race, recorded a time of 10:45.02.
- Senior Olivia Coopwood won the 100m hurdles, earning a time of 15.16 seconds. De'Nisha Smith also grabbed a first place finish in the long jump with a 5.62m mark.
- Finally, Amiaya Carey recorded a first place finish in the high jump with a 1.65m mark, which ties a personal best for the senior.
Assistant Coach Tom Sage on the Meet:
"It's great to have a home meet. Obviously, we were hoping for better weather, but we liked the effort we saw out of all our kids. We came away with a few titles in events and we're looking forward to heading down to South Florida next week."
The Rams travel to the University of South Florida for the second of their three out-of-state meets this season. The Bulls Invitational will begin Thursday, March 22.