Final Score: Richmond 21, VCU 11
Location: Richmond, Va. (Robins Stadium)
Records: VCU (2-7, 0-1 A-10), Richmond (7-2, 1-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Trailing 10-5 at halftime, VCU opened the second half with three unanswered goals and cut the deficit to 10-8 with 22:39 remaining in the game. The Rams battled and trailed just 12-10 with 16:48 left before the Spiders scored six unanswered to put the game out of reach.
- Sky Hyatt scored a team-high five goals on just seven shot attempts. Hyatt also had a team-high five draw controls and two ground balls.
- Molly Barcikwoski scored two goals.
- Ria Peralta made 16 saves in the cage for VCU.
- Keriann McTavish scored once and added two assists for the Rams.
- Jessica Del Rossi, Blaire Langeler and Clare Murphy each scored once.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Spiders opened the game with a 3-1 lead before back-to-back goals from Barcikowski tied the game with 20:35 left in the first half.
- Richmond then outscored the Rams 7-2 to build a 10-5 lead at halftime.
- VCU bounced right back opening the second half with a 3-0 run that included two goals from Hyatt and one from Langeler. The run cut the deficit to just 10-8.
- The two teams traded goals as Richmond clung to a 12-10 lead before scoring six unanswered goals to go up 18-10 with 11:37 remaining.
- Keriann McTavish scored the final goal of the game for the Rams with 11:01 remaining.
VCU will host Saint Joseph's on March 31 at 1 p.m. at Cary Street Field.