Atlantic 10 Conference Championship Match
Score: #3 VCU 4, #1 Richmond 3
Location: Orlando, Fla. (USTA National Campus)
Records: VCU 14-11, Richmond 24-4
- The win provided VCU with its first A-10 title since 2013 and 18th in 27 seasons under Coach Paul Kostin.
- The Rams had reached the A-10 final each of the last three seasons, but fell to George Washington each time. This year, VCU knocked off George Washington in Saturday's semifinal round to set up Sunday's dramatic victory.
- VCU won all three of its A-10 Tournament matches by a 4-3 score. Along the way the Rams topped the No. 6, 2 and 1 seeds.
- The Rams fell behind 1-0 after dropping the doubles point, but singles wins by Vitor Lima (No. 4), Marten Jonsson (No. 2) and Javier Amantegui (No. 6) gave VCU a 3-1 lead.
- However, a short time later, Richmond's Caleb Troy provided the equalizer when he rallied past Arvid Noren 3-6, 7-5, 6-1 on the No. 3 court.
- Monfils and Dunbar, Richmond's all-time singles wins leader, split the first eight games of the third set. But in the Florida heat, Monfils was strong down the stretch to pull the Rams to the victory.
- "It was a tough day today, but we lost three times [the last three years] in the finals. Last year we lost when one of our guys cramped, and it looked like it might happen again this year, but I'm so proud of these guys." – VCU Coach Paul Kostin on the win.
- "Unbelievable. He's been having those three-setters every day here, and he had a gruesome match against probably the best player in the conference." – Kostin on Monfils' effort.
- "We gave everything we had, and I'm really proud of my team. We had a really tough year, so it was really important for us to win here today. It meant a lot to us." Daryl Monfils
- Kostin has never lost a men's match to Richmond. He is 27-0 in his career against the Spiders, and the Rams lead the all-time series 32-8. Richmond's last win over VCU came in 1990.
- In 36 years as college coach, Kostin has on 35 conference championships.
- Lima and Amantegui were both 3-0 in singles play during the A-10 Tournament.
#3 VCU 4, #1 RICHMOND 3
1. Daryl Monfils (VCU) def. Jacob Dunbar, 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-4
2. Marten Jonsson (VCU) def. Alex Felisa, 6-1, 6-2
3. Caleb Troy (UR) def. Arvid Noren, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
4. Vitor Lima (VCU) def. John Karlawish, 6-2, 6-4
5. Canyon Teague (UR) def. Ignacio Rivero Crespo, 7-6 (3), 6-3
6. Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. James Aronson, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 5, 3, 1
1. Jacob Dunbar/Alex Felisa (UR) def. Daryl Monfils/Marten Jonsson, 6-3
2. Jon Quenard/Caleb Troy (UR) def. Vitor Lima/Arvid Noren, 7-5
3. Javier Amantegui/Louis Ishizaka (VCU) def. James Aronson/John Karlawish, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
VCU will learn its destination for the 2017 NCAA Tournament on Tuesday, May 2. Brackets will be announced during the NCAA Selection Show starting at 5 p.m.