Final Score: VCU 9, George Washington 4
Location: Billiken Sports Complex (St. Louis, Mo.)
Records: VCU 34-20, George Washington 31-26
The Short Story: The VCU Rams got a good start to their postseason, as the Black & Gold slashed out fifteen hits, including a 4-for-4 day from Mitchel Lacey. Behind the up tempo offense, VCU defeated George Washington by a final score of 9-4. The Rams move to the semi-finals, while George Washington will now play in an elimination game versus Rhode Island.
- Lacey finished a perfect 4-for-4 on the day with a home run, double, five RBI, and two runs scored. It was Lacey's second four-hit game of the season.
- Alex Gransback recorded his 15th multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-5 with two RBI on the game.
- Dylan Isquirdo notched a multi-hit game as well, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Six other Rams recorded hits on the game, as Paul Witt and Zac Ching each recorded doubles as their lone hits on the game.
- Starter Brooks Vial went six innings in earning the victory, scattering nine hits and three runs with three strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- George Washington came out swinging against Vial, grabbing the first run of the game in the top of the second inning. Brandon Chapman would single in Mark Osis to take a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams would come back with a pair and take the lead in the bottom of the second inning. Doubles from Witt and Ching would work the first run to tie things at 1-1.
- With two out in the bottom of the second, Lacey came through with an RBI single, scoring Ching who scored just ahead of the throw to the plate to give VCU the 2-1 lead.
- VCU added to the lead in the bottom of the third, as Gransback came through with an RBI single with the infield up scoring Logan Farrar. That would give the Black & Gold a 3-1 lead.
- The Colonials would add two runs in the top of the fourth inning, as a wild pitch and groundout would tie things at 3-3.
- Lacey would take over the game starting in the bottom of the sixth inning, as he bopped a solo home run to lead off the inning, giving the Rams a 4-3 lead.
- Gransback would add an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth as well, as he was able to bring home Isquirdo with two out. That gave the Rams a 5-3 lead heading into the seventh.
- The Rams would load the bases in the bottom of the seventh, as Darian Carpenter and Brett Willett started with back-to-back singles, followed by an intentional walk to Ching. Lacey would take advantage, just missing a grand slam to dead center field. However, he would double and clear the bases giving VCU an 8-3 lead.
- Farrar would add one more run in the bottom of the seventh grounding into a double play, as Lacey would score on the play and give the Black & Gold a 9-3 lead.
- Despite getting one run in the 9th, Jonathan Ebersole would shut the door over the last three innings and grab his second save of the season as the Rams would grab the 9-4 victory.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Friday, May 26 in the Atlantic 10 Semi-Finals against the #6 seeded Davidson Wildcats. First pitch at the Billiken Sports Center is slated for 1 p.m. EST/12 p.m. CST.