Final Score: VCU 8, UMass 0
Location: Earl Lorden Field (Amherst, Mass.)
Records: VCU 17-13 (6-1 A-10), UMass 7-14 (2-2 A-10)
The Short Story: Junior right hander Sean Thompson put the team on his back Friday afternoon, as he slung seven innings of shutout baseball giving up only two hits in the Rams 8-0 win over the UMass Minutemen. The Rams offense woke up in the eighth, collecting six of their eight runs on the day in the top of the eighth inning.
- Sean Thompson went seven shutout innings, throwing only 73 pitches giving up only two hits. He did not walk a batter, and struck out seven in earning his fifth win of the season.
- Freshman Steven Carpenter finished 2-for-4 with his first career home run and a double. He also scored a team-high two runs in the ballgame as well.
- Daane Berezo, Paul Witt, and Haiden Lamb each also collected multi-hit efforts,
- Eight of the nine batters in the VCU lineup collected a hit on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides went 1-2-3 in the first two frames, as the game moved quickly early.
- Steven Carpenter got the scoring going as the first batter in the top of the third inning, as he smacked a fly ball to left field that sailed over the fence for a solo home run. That would put the Rams up 1-0.
- Thompson would carry a no-hitter into the bottom of the fifth inning, as he would give up his first hit of the game to the leadoff hitter of the inning.
- VCU would strike again with another run in the top of the sixth inning, as Alex Gransback would place a hit into the right center field gap, scoring a run and putting the Rams up 2-0.
- The flood gates would open in the top of the eighth for the Rams, as it all started with a bunt from Gransback. As he put it up the third base line and was fielded by the pitcher, his throw would sail over the first baseman's head and up the right field line as Farrar would score from first and Gransback would end up at third base.
- Now with the 3-0 lead, Witt would send an RBI double to the left center field gap to make the score 4-0.
- Darian Carpenter would follow up Witt with a hit, allowing Zac Ching to snag an RBI single a batter later. Following a Steven Carpenter walk to load the bases, Haiden Lamb would also drop a single into shallow right field. That would bring things to 6-0 in favor of the Rams.
- A sacrifice fly by Dylan Isquirdo and an RBI single by Berezo would put a cap on the inning, giving the Rams six runs in the top of the eighth and an 8-0 lead.
- Benjamin Dum would close the curtain on the Minutemen with two shut down innings in the eighth and ninth to seal the win for the Rams.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, April 8 when the Black & Gold return to take on the UMass Minutemen in Game 2 of the three-game series. First pitch for Game 2 of the three-game series is set for 1 p.m.