Final Score: #5 Florida State 11, VCU 3
Location: Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium (Tallahassee, Fla.)
Records: VCU 1-2, #5 FSU 2-1
The Short Story: Out of a weekend dropping two of three games, VCU had a bright spot in freshman Paul Witt, who collected the only RBI of the day in a 11-3 loss against the Florida State Seminoles. The Rams collected six hits in the contest, and finished the weekend with nine runs scored.
- Witt's RBI single put him at .500 over the first three games of the season, tops in the VCU lineup. He also is now tied with Darian Carpenter in RBI's with two.
- VCU finished the day by getting four base runners via a hit by pitch.
- The Rams also got leadoff base runners in five of the nine innings.
- Starting pitcher Brooks Vial went only three innings in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida State wasted no time getting on the board in the first two innings of the game against Brooks Vial. With a three spot in the bottom of the second that was highlighted by back-to-back RBI singles from J.C. Flowers and Taylor Walls. That would give FSU a 4-0 lead.
- The Rams battled back with two runs in the top of the third, as the Rams led off with a single from Alex Gransback.
- Following the single, Haiden Lamb would drop down a bunt up the third base line. FSU pitcher Tyler Holton would field the ball, spin, and throw it away up the right field line. That would allow Gransback to motor around to score and put Lamb on second.
- VCU would go on to load the bases, and a wild pitch would score Lamb from third to make the score 4-2. However, the Rams would strikeout three times in a row to end the inning and the threat.
- Florida State came back with three runs in the bottom of the fifth, capped by a Walls double that hugged the line over the first base bag and scored two. They added one more in the bottom of the sixth with a two-out solo home run by Quincy Nieporte.
- However, in the top of the seventh, Witt would smack a single into left field with Mitchel Lacey on second. The hit would score Lacey and get the Rams back in with an 8-3 deficit.
- Florida State would add one in the bottom of the seventh with an RBI single by Flowers, and two in the eighth on a sacrifice fly from Nieporte and Matt Henderson RBI single.
VCU will return to action next weekend beginning on Friday, Feb. 24, as they travel to Charleston Southern for a three-game series. Game time for Game 1 on Friday is scheduled for 6 p.m.